Before Intravenous Sedation
- Please stop taking any herbal supplements or remedies 2 weeks prior to your surgery, as some of these supplements can lead to serious complications, such as bleeding, during and after your surgery.
- For any IV sedation procedure you are to arrive “NPO” – The Latin abbreviation for “nothing per mouth”. So please Do NOT eat anything for six (6) hours prior to your appointment.
- In special circumstances you may be allowed to drink clear liquids, such as water, all the way up to 3 hours prior to surgery – PLEASE ASK Dr. Massoomi!
- No smoking at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking 2 MONTHS prior to any surgery in order to reduce any post-operative complications.
- A responsible adult must accompany the patient to the office, remain in the office during the procedure, and drive the patient home.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following any surgery with sedation or while on narcotic pain medication.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or bowel upset, please notify the office prior to surgery. We may provide you with additional medications for your cold!
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Massoomi prior to your surgical date for instructions, but typically it is recommended to take your medications as scheduled with a small glass of water.